A Practical Guide to Washed Rind Cheeses
What is a washed rind cheese? The name says it all: these cheeses are frequently washed during the curing process. They’re recognizable by the colour of their rind and their rich, strong aroma developed during their long ripening process.
Our washed rind cheeses are available in both soft and firm varieties.
Soft Washed Rind Cheeses
Our soft washed rind cheeses start off creamy and develop a runnier texture as they age. Each variety offers a unique aroma that becomes more pronounced over time.
- Maître Jules Cheese
- Petit Rubis Cheese
- Le Saint-Raymond Cheese
- La Sauvagine Cheese
- La Sauvagine Reserve Cheese
- Sir Laurier d'Arthabaska Cheese
- La tentation de Laurier Cheese
Firm Washed Rind Cheeses
Our firm washed rind cheeses are available in a variety of flavours and formats. They become crumblier and develop a robust, full-bodied aroma as they age.
- Cantonnier Cheese
- Cantonnier Pepper Cheese
- Cantonnier Smoked Flavour Cheese
- Raclette Cheese
- Vacherin Cheese
Adding Washed Rind Cheeses to your Menu
What if enhancing favourite Canadian menu items was made easy just by using cheeses with lots of character?1 The rustic notes of washed rind cheeses pair well with bold flavours for a truly inspired menu.
- Thanks to their creaminess, soft washed rind cheeses can jazz up many dishes such as pasta, burgers, appetizers and even pizzas.
- Firm washed rind cheeses melt perfectly, making them ideal for fondues and grilled cheeses. They can add a decadent, melty twist to many vegetarian options and street-food inspired dishes!
Timesaving format: Opt for our convenient pre-shredded or pre-sliced Cantonnier cheese to speed up the preparation of your dishes.
- Washed rind cheeses add a unique elegant touch to any charcuterie board. Our Petit Rubis, La tentation de Laurier and Le Saint-Raymond cheeses are available in small, convenient formats, making them easy to portion while helping reduce waste.
Incredibly versatile, washed rind cheeses can enhance any menu with exciting bold flavours—yours to use any way you want!
For more expert tips, subscribe to our newsletter, À LA CARTE!
1 Technomic, Technomic Ignite Menu, Q2 2019 – Q2 2020 / 2019 NPD group Top 20 Food Items in Commercial FS. / Technomic Ignite Menu, Q1 2022