Gourmet Orecchiette with Truffle Oil and Herb-Cheese Crusts
- 1.35 kg cooked orecchiette pasta
- 150 g double smoked bacon, finely diced
- 75 ml Saputo unsalted butter
- 150 g yellow onion, finely diced
- 150 g leek, finely diced
- 120 ml all-purpose flour
- 125 ml white wine
- 750 ml Saputo milk
- 540 ml Saputo 35% cream
- 360 g Saputo Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 360 g Saputo Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 3 ml truffle oil
- 30 ml chopped Italian parsley
- 7.5 ml chopped basil and/or thyme
- 300 g fresh bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat the butter and briefly sauté the bacon. Add the onion and leek and continue to sauté until translucent.
- Add the flour to the pan and whisk to combine. Add the white wine and whisk until the mixture binds.
- Add the milk and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the Saputo Cheddar Cheese and 275 g of the grated Saputo Parmesan Cheese. Stir to combine, adjust the seasonings as necessary, and then add the truffle oil.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce and herbs. Spoon into individual ovenproof dishes.In a small bowl, combine the remaining Saputo Parmesan Cheese, chopped Italian parsley, chopped basil and/or thyme, and fresh bread crumbs.
- Top the pasta with this mixture and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until nicely browned.
Yield: 12 portions
Preparations: 15 min
Cooking: 15 min