Spicy Chocolate Mousse
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) Saputo, Dairyland, Neilson, Nutrilait, Baxter or Scotsburn whipping cream
- 120 g (4 oz) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) Saputo, Dairyland, Neilson, or Scotsburn unsalted butter
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) espresso coffee at room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 ml (1 tsp) Espelette pepper
- Sufficient quantity - shaved chocolate
- In a bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Refrigerate.
- Place the chocolate, butter and coffee in a bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water and stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the egg whites, adding the sugar a little at a time, until they form soft peaks. Set aside at room temperature.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the pepper into the cooled chocolate mixture. Fold the egg whites gently into the chocolate, one third at a time.
- Fold the whipped cream carefully into the chocolate until thoroughly incorporated.
- Transfer the mousse to one large serving bowl or individual dessert dishes.
- Refrigerate 6 hours before serving. Decorate with chocolate shavings.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparations: 15 minutes + 6 hours refrigeration